Bar Swage Mechanical Rebar Splice
The Preshcon Bar Swage Mechanical Rebar Splice is for the most part a repair coupler although its uses are many and varied, it is generally incorporated into a construction project when an unexpected complication arises which requires a rebar repair solution. For threaded rebar couplers visit our 'IRON MAN' BMS Rebar Couplers page.
Mechanical Rebar Splice
One example of an onsite circumstance where the Bar Swage Mechanical Rebar Splice System should be integrated is if some starter bars that were inadvertently cut during basement construction now hamper strutting.
Three other solutions probably come to mind:
- Hacking - in order to expose an acceptable lap length through hacking often needs to be extremely extensive, is prohibitively disruptive and expensive and in many situations turns out to be absolutely impossible.
- Welding – often disapproved of as it is likely that x-ray quality control measures would be required.
- Threaded Rebar Couplers – unfortunately even our 'IRON MAN' BMS Rebar Couplers can’t solve the problem as threading machines cannot thread bars that are already cast.
Bar Swage Mechanical Splices
Bar Swage Mechanical Splices offer the ultimate solution without any of the problems.
- Our Bar Swage rebar splice is cold swaged, involving no excessive heat therefore retaining the original integrity or the reinforcing bar.
- Accessible Visual Inspection allows for simple, non intrusive quality control, the rebar ends do not require special preparation and the Bar Swage mechanical rebar splice system splices rebars with any galvanized protection or corrugated pattern.
- Our rebar splice comes in sizes ranging from 16mm – 40mm to perfectly mirror reinforcement bar sizes; it can be installed in any weather conditions and is ideal for both new construction projects and for structural repair solutions.
For further information or our full catalogue contact our busy sales team.
Rebar Splice Swaging
Bar Swage Rebar Splices are pressed on to the ends of two adjoining bars.The Bar Swage press swages the sleeve down onto the bar end in a series of bites which are applied at high pressure.
This simple procedure is carried out in two stages:
- The first stage is to press the half sleeve onto the loose bar.
- In the second stage the unpressed end of the sleeve is slipped over the fixed bar and the pressing is completed in-situ.
Bar Swage Rebar Splice Standard Sizes
The standard Bar Swage is used to connect two bars which can be directly coupled together using a hydraulic press.
|Sleeve I/D Unpressed||a||19.4||23.3||29.0||33.5||38.5||46.5|
|Sleeve O/D Unpressed||d||27||39||45||51||60||70|
|Sleeve Length Unpressed||b||96||120||140||170||180||250|
|Sleeve Length Pressed||l||120||150||170||190||200||280|
|Sleeve Weight (Kg)||0.17||0.33||0.63||1.10||1.33||2.56|
All dimensions are subjected to changes with prior notice
Bar Swage Rebar Splice Approvals
Bar Swage rebar couplers are designed and manufactured in accordance with BSENISO9001. In addition the coupler has been tested to show compliance with the following international design codes:
British Standards Institution: BS4449, BS4461
American Concrete Institute: ACI 318, ACI 359
Bar Swage Splice Installation
Bar Swage Splice
- Place the sleeve over the end of the continuation bar using the positioning gauge. Press the sleeve onto the bar in a series of bites. This can usually be carried out on site using a bench press.
- Position the unpressed end of the sleeve over the fixed bar.
- Using the hydaulic press, swage the sleeve onto the fixed bar in a series of bites.